Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Applewood Egg Special

The first trip my husband and I took together was to Williamsburg, Virginia, a destination my parents had taken me to many times during my childhood.  As a history and government teacher, I have a huge appreciation for this amazing town.  I love that feeling of being back in time when I'm there.  On our first trip together, we stayed at Applewood Bed & Breakfast.  One breakfast we had there completely blew us away,  and we were determined to recreate it at home.


I love kitchen gadgets!  One of my favorite is my West Bend Egg and Muffin Toaster, that I purchased from amazon.com after my toaster oven from college died.  It's perfect for this recipe!  

First, I start by toasting a Food for Life Gluten Free Multi Seed English Muffin for a full cycle on high.  They are organic, and contain brown rice and tapioca flour, potato starch, yeast, flax/chai/sesame/sunflower seeds, sea salt, and vegetable gum (xanthan, cellulose). 


While the English Muffins are cooking, I put 2 eggs in the egg cooking part of my toaster, and pour in the right amount of water to soft boil them.  A handy dandy measuring cup is included to aid in this process.  After my English muffins pop up, I turn them, hit the egg/toast button, and watch my toaster do its magic. 


When the cycle is finished, I rinse my soft boiled eggs under cold water, and cook my English Muffin for another minute to make sure it's nice and hot.  I then add butter, a generous amount of orange marmalade, and a sprinkle of kosher salt to each half of my English muffin.  I peel my eggs, then cut them in half on top of the English muffins so all that lovely yolk oozes all over the place.  At this point, I sometimes up the calorie count with some bacon.  Two pieces for each half will do the trick.  Time to dig in!  Just a warning - this is a messy breakfast if you're willing to eat it with your hands and not use a knife and fork.  My girls love it!  I am partial to the fact that it's the perfect combo of salty and sweet.  


At Applewood, the chef poached the eggs, so the presentation was really beautiful.  We rarely poach our eggs, because it is just easier to soft boil them.  You have got to try this dish.  I know it sounds like an odd combination, but it is one of my favorite breakfasts, and I'm not much of an egg lover.  This is one of those rare breakfast dishes that my daughters, who are super fussy about about what they eat in the morning, ask me to make.  





0 comments:

Post a Comment