Monday, August 12, 2013

Mexican Chocolate Banana Muffins

From the moment I saw Marcela Valladolid making Mexican Chocolate Banana Muffins on the Food Network, I knew I had to make a gluten free version.


One of the key ingredients, Mexican chocolate, can be purchased at Whole Foods.  Taza is certified gluten free and organic, and is dairy and soy free.  I've used their cacao puro, cinnamon, and ginger Mexican chocolate in my muffins.  I can never taste any difference between the three.  



I used to make 12 standard size muffins, but this recipe is perfect for making adorable little mini muffins. 

Mexican Chocolate Banana Muffins

Ingredients

1 1/2 C (210 grams) gluten free all-purpose flour 
2/3 C (133 grams) sugar or 2/3 C coconut palm sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon 
8 T (1 stick) unsalted butter - melted
1 large egg
1/4 C whole milk or 1/4 C plain kefir 
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 C mashed bananas - about 4 large bananas
2.7 ounces (about 1/2 C) Mexican chocolate (chopped) or 1/2 C mini chocolate chips

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray mini muffin pans with cooking spray.  

Melt the butter and set aside to cool.  

In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt, and cinnamon.  

In a second bowl, beat the egg, then add the milk, vanilla, mashed bananas, and butter.  Stir well to combine.  

Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture, stirring until just combined.  Do not overmix.  Stir in the chopped Mexican chocolate, then fill your mini muffin pans.  To fill them quickly, use a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop, slightly heaping.    

Bake for 20 minutes until nicely browned.  

Makes 36 mini muffins or 12 standard size muffins.   

If making standard size muffins, bake for 30 minutes.



Recipe Notes

When I first adapted this recipe to be gluten free, I was using Glutino Gluten Free Pantry All-Purpose Flour in all my recipes, but now I use Cup4Cup.  I have also made these muffins with Better Batter and Domata.  If your flour blend does not contain xanthan or guar gum, you will need to add it to the recipe.  

I recently added whole milk plain kefir in place of the milk, and was amazed at how much lighter the muffins were, so I will be using it from now on. The kefir was much thicker than whole milk, so I also added about 1 tablespoon of lowfat milk to my wet ingredients. 


This recipe has been adapted from a Marcela Valladolid recipe from the Food Network.


1 comments: